Insomnia can take many forms. Some people have trouble falling asleep, which is defined as spending more than 20 to 30 minutes in bed before dozing off. Others wake up frequently and can’t get back to sleep.
So how to get better sleep or sleep at all?
Here’s the deal:
- Take a hot shower or bath. The air temperature around you will cool your core, which sends a chemical reflex to the brain that induces sleep.
- Eat light! A less fattier meal is better to digest. You should also avoid caffeine and, sorry to say 😬, alcoholic drinks for dinner.
- Keep a steady bed and wake up time. This honors the body’s internal clock mechanism that regulate sleep and helps to establish healthy habits.
- Don‘t stay in bed awake if you wake up during the night. This trains the brain that your bed is not a place for sleeping.
- Meditate! Some studies show it improves sleep.
- Getting enough magnesium is key! Natural calm is the go-to for nourishing and calming the body and mind.
Image by @yomagick